Sunday, May 29, 2011

Kaka parrots on my balcony



A happy Kaka munching an almond on my balcony.

Well looky here! After moving to Aro Valley in Wellington, I wondered what the large brown birds were flying around in the distance. At first I thought perhaps they were hawks – I could see the separate feathers at the wingtips. Then some days later, I saw one closer as it landed in a tree near me on my walk home from work – parrots! I learned soon after they were the native New Zealand Kaka.

Up close, you can see there is some interesting colour to their plumage. 

This was pretty exciting (for me anyway!) I wondered how I might be lucky enough to get one to come close enough in the trees to get a half-decent photo with my telephoto lens. They continued flying around in the distance whenever I was out to look.

Fast-forward a few weeks. I'm out on the patio around sunset, when suddenly not one, but four Kakas flapped up and landed on the balcony railing! I rushed in to get some apple slices, and my camera. Over the next few weeks I've fed them sliced apples and unsalted almonds. They love them both.

I've taken many photos like the one here. They show up at sunrise and sunset (breakfast and dinner hours), and sometimes even mid-day. Clearly I'm on their "frequent flyer" stopover route now, as they're out there a lot. Often when I come home from work there are some waiting for me on the balcony! And one morning last week on my way to work (and a fair distance from the house), three Kaka flew down from a tree and perched on a fence next to me. 

They had to be "regulars" at Casa de Steve's Parrot Café, and recognised me. I actually stood there and showed them my empty hands, and explained that I didn't have any food ... and told them to be sure to show up at the house around 5.30 and there would be some chow. I got home from work, and some were there waiting! (No telling if the same three were amongst this mob).

Now it's a standard thing on weekends, in the morning just after sunrise, to take a cup of tea out to the balcony with almonds and apple slices – and I have breakfast with these magnificent birds. 


I've attached a video here of some Kakas who showed up for dinner. This is part of a longer movie which can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16019458/Mobbed%20By%20Parrots%20E.mov




No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on! You know you want to. Write something!