Saturday, November 12, 2011

Drunk-dialed

OK, which one of you 3.5 billion women on the planet drunk-dialed me last night?

In uncharacteristic fashion, I was firmly ensconced in the fart sack by about 10 pm (give or take, I wasn't checking my watch). This is early for me, on a Friday night. This is due to dinner consisting of two (or maybe more) bottles of wine, and nothing solid.

I only discovered the drunk-dial (two in a row, actually) when checking my phone this morning.

The number was blocked in both instances. The calls were a minute apart.

No message was left at all on the first voicemail. On the second, it wasn't a direct, slurred, mumbling, gibberish message TO me. It was some drunken, slurry, rambling bar talk going on between two or more women ... not aimed at me. It was a woman though. This much I could ascertain.

Couldn't quite place the voice, but I have a suspicion ...

So of the 3.5 billion females on the planet who may have made the call, we can remove a large portion of that number for many obvious reasons (women old enough to operate a cell phone [no babies], women in a country where they can afford/have a cell, women who know my number, and women in all likelihood who don't live here in New Zealand, or more specifically, here in Wellington).

It may have been someone from Canada or the USA, but, that's a low probability.

So my drunk-dialer was someone here in Welly.

For most guys, being drunk-dialed by a woman we know (who we think is hot) is 2nd only to having an appealing and drunken woman you know show up at your door at midnight (aka "booty call").

The mysterious "Who the fuck WAS that?" drunk dial is a distant 3rd down the list for being appealing. It's still pretty good though ... a compliment, but a sneaky one. One that makes you think. Who could it have been?

A blocked number means a few things ... it's someone I know, but for some reason she had the wherewithal to block her number before dialing me. Does that mean she hoped to get me in person, to see if it was OK to drop by? Or at least, to have 'drunken fun happy chat'? But otherwise ... blocking her number means she didn't want me to call HER back today to see if she was into a hung-over booty call?

The call came at about 11:20 pm. Not late by Friday night standards ... except, here in Wellington, many people bolt straight out from work and go immediately to a pub to start drinking (so between 5 and 5.30 is when the first drink gets hoovered). Given this behavior, a call from a woman at 11.20 pm means she'd been drinking for a good solid 6 hours.

This also means said woman can hold her liquor fairly well, and, she can take the pace of a good night of marathon drinking. Which is impressive.

Based on this sleuthing and conjecture, I have compiled a short list of 3 suspects.

Any of the 3 can drop by today to apologize.

Bring wine.

And don't wear anything complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on! You know you want to. Write something!